28 July 2015

Contentment and Enjoyment

A late night at work = this view

Hi friends!

My sister and I study the Bible together every week, and last week we read 1 Timothy 6.  Two verses in particular stood out to me really profoundly, and I want to share them with you.

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 
 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain[c] we can carry nothing out. 
 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

Contentment is a huge challenge for me.  I seem to always be wanting to do something new and experience new things.  I struggle to simply enjoy being where I'm at here and now!  When I read verse 8 above, I was challenged by the thought that I should really be content with my basic necessities, and that really, anything above and beyond that is a gift.

However, we didn't stop there.

17 Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.

It suddenly became clear to me that while contentment is certainly something I should be working on (obviously, because verse 6 says that godliness AND contentment is great gain!), I live for a God who wants more for me than the basic necessities.  He gives me more than I deserve; more than I need; more than I know what to do with.

I was blown away by this truth.  The truth that God loves me SO MUCH that He created this universe; gave His Son to take my very own sin and dirtiness so that I could live eternal live with him; blessed me with my husband, family and friends; saw fit to give me a job that provides for more than I need... The list goes on.

When I learn to be content with the basic necessities, I will actually be able to enjoy the simple things and not wish for something more/different/new.

I so love that I have the Bible to explore and learn new truths!  God is truly amazing.

Do you struggle with being content?
Could you learn to enjoy the simple things of life?

~Rachel

No comments: