20 August 2015

When I Pointed my Finger





Have you ever had one of those moments where you were judging someone or a group of people, then suddenly the tables turned and you realised you were the one with the problem?

I had one such moment last week.

My sister and I are currently reading through the book of 2 Timothy together, and last week we were reading chapter 3. In the very beginning of this chapter I read these words:

For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God...

My immediate thought was, "That is so true - there are definitely a lot of people like this in the world."

My very next thought hit me in the face.

I am one of these people.

I can be proud and selfish and disobedient and ungrateful and I can lack control and abound in hate.

This verse can describe me.

At various points in my life, I have been guilty of most of the things listed here... And this list isn't even comprehensive!!

Oh, the shame. That I pointed my finger at "people like this in the world"... Before realising that I am imperfect and unholy.

I praise Jesus because the Holy Spirit used these verses in my life to show me my sinful nature. I praise Him because He loves me more than I can describe, and I have the opportunity to become more than this.

Have you ever accused (even an unspoken accusation!) others of wrong-doing, and then realised that you, yourself, are guilty?

~Rachel

No comments: