12 February 2013

Devotional: Intercession

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,"
1 Timothy 2:1-5


This passage immediately spoke to me when I read it this morning. A couple of weeks ago, I realized there were a few things in my life that I wanted to work on. Since it was nearly the end of January, I decided to sit down and pray about everything that was in my head, write thoughts down on paper, and then create some goals for February - short-term, achievable goals.

One of my goals was to intercede for others. There are so many special people in my life, and while I can't invest lots of time with them as individuals, I CAN pray for them as much as I like! I find that when I take specific time to pray for others, my heart is filled with joy, because this is such a privilege.

As I read this passage, I noticed the clear reference to "kings and all who are in authority".

Do I pray for my nation's politicians and leaders and officials?

No.

Never.

Wow. I call myself a Christian,  yet I never pray for my leaders! Sure, I make plenty of comments such as "What were they thinking?!?!...this is a Christian country? Doesn't seem like it!...I can't believe the place our country is in..." You get my point.

I expect the best, but don't pray into the decisions that are made by our leaders.

God, forgive my ignorance and pride and selfishness!!

I am encouraged - yes, convicted! - to pursue prayer. Pursue time to intercede for friends and family. Pursue prayer for my nation's leaders. Pursue my Lord and Saviour and all that He has for me.

Will you join me?
What are you convicted to pray for today?

~Rachel

No comments: