28 December 2012

Not Really Hearing

One thing I love about my job is that my dream of working in the city has finally been realized. I love hopping on the train, having 50 minutes to spend in a quiet time every morning, and then walking 10-15 minutes to my work.



This morning as I was walking from the train station to work, I saw a friend. She was walking the same direction as me, but not near me. She had her headphones in, and looked very focused on where she had to go.

Then, a few hours later, I was at work, and one of my colleagues came and gave me a job to do. She began explaining it, and I was looking at the paperwork, nodding my head, saying "mm-hm"... and then I realized that I actually had not heard one thing that she said. I shook myself and had to ask her to repeat everything again.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I read a short illustration of a bride at her reception, walking around greeting people and accepting many compliments on how beautiful she was. Then the story turns to the groom, who is standing in a corner, completely unnoticed both by the guests and his bride. Tears roll down his cheeks.

Source
What a picture this is.

Surely this is how I so often treat my Saviour. He has brought me through this far, yet I continually live life my own way - not consulting Him, not thinking about Him, not walking with Him. I know He is there, but living like I know He's there?...a whole different story.

When I am tempted to do wrong, I so often ignore that still, small voice (which many people call a "conscience") that tells me not to give in to that temptation. When I am angry or frustrated, I so often blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, instead of remembering His amazing grace and mercy towards me, that I should be showing to others.


So let us not walk through life not really hearing. Let us walk with confidence in the knowledge that God is with us; God is speaking to us and guiding us - and we can draw from everything He is, as long as our ears and eyes are open to take in everything that He has for us.

~Rachel

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This is beautiful. If only our in our actions we would point others towards praising God rather than receiving praise ourselves!