30 September 2016

Visit to Adelaide




Recently I spent 5 days in my hometown of Adelaide to visit my Mum for her birthday and to catch up with family and friends. It was such a special time to be reconnected with my family and friends who I have known for so long. I have only been living in Brisbane for 8 months and I have some wonderful close friends here, but it was so good to spend time with some of the people who know me best!

While waiting for my flight...

On the Thursday I caught up with a friend and her cute two-year-old at a cafe. They were both unwell so they made a ginormous effort to get out of the house and come and see me!

Waiting for Lindy

Then, they dropped me at my Nana and Grampy's place where I had lunch and chatted with my grandparents.

Nana and Grampy gave us this CUTEST little suit for the baby! It's my new favourite!!

Lici then picked me up and we went out for coffee. It was so nice to chat with her in person - nothing beats it! While we were catching up Andre texted me photos of himself at the shops trying on sunnies - he wanted my opinion on which ones to buy - so we replied with these charming pictures:




Lici dropped me back at Nana and Grampy's and we drove to the local footy club to meet my family for a dinner to celebrate Mum and Nana's birthdays. The food was so good (vegetable / salad bars are the best!), the company was lovely, and the cake Dad chose was so decadent, I was only able to eat half.




They wanted to make sure they got to blow out 2 candles each :P
Me, Jarryd, Grampy, Amy, Nana and Mum. Photo credit: Dad (obviously)

On Friday I just hung around at Mum and Dad's place, distracting Amy and Jarryd from their studies and chatting with Mum. Granny and Grampa came over for lunch (and brought fish and chips, which was Dad's favourite part of their visit) and it was so lovely to catch up with them!

Grandpa made a very sentimental, observant, un-Grandpa-like comment about my baby bump: "That looks good on you. I like it." - which I will remember forever! The other thing I will never forget? When they were about to leave, we were awkwardly saying goodbye so I decided to throw caution to the wind and held out my arms for a hug, expecting a light hug with a couple pats on the back. To my astonishment, he enveloped me in the biggest bear hug EVER! As they drove away, my family and I all looked at each other, speechless - Grandpa is not a huggy person by any means, so this was so special!

On Saturday I went for a drive in the Barossa with Mum and Dad. It was great to be able to spend time with them! The Barossa is so beautiful at that time of year - gorgeous and green; water flowing in the creeks; baby lambs in the paddocks with their mummys.

The entrance to Tanunda never ceases to make me smile - so pretty!
The quaint boutique shops have so many beautiful, unique things!
I was 1,544km away from Brisbane

As soon as we got home, I got back in the car and drove to catch up with Brooke. We drank coffee, did some crafty stuff, and did not stop talking for 3 hours straight. Bliss!! The only photo I took while I was there was this one, which is very appropriate for our friendship:

Brooke's baby, Buddy :)

On Sunday I went to church with my family and caught up with some friends there, then Mum, Amy and I headed straight to Brooke's house for the baby shower that Brooke and Amy organised for me!! This event deserves its very own post which will come next - but for now, a teaser photo:



After the baby shower I went out to dinner with my Auntie Lorraine, and Amy and Jarryd. We had such fun!!

There was a pretty sunset on the way to dinner




Monday morning Jarryd and I went out for coffee. So happy to be able to catch up with him :)









After dropping in to see Gav for half an hour, for the rest of the day I hung around Mum and Dad's and, again, distracted Amy and Jarryd from their studies. Homeschooling and studying online is so awesome!
Homeschool life...
...which is even better when Dad is on holidays. Jarryd and Dad fight very frequently, and Jarryd proudly bore the scars. Mum wasn't happy.


Dad injured his hand while working on the carport gutter. Work is definitely a safer place to be.
Nurse Amy to the rescue! 
Childhood flashback!!! Jarryd didn't know how to make dandelion chains (horror!) so I gladly taught him!
Final meal together before I flew home :)

A special thanks to Mum and Dad for having me stay, and for letting me use your car, and for driving me around! It was so great to see you both and Amy and Jarryd. See you next time in Brisbane!!

~Rachel

No comments: