23 April 2009

Romans 8

On Monday night I read Romans chapter 8, and wrote down some thoughts from it.

Verses 5 and 6 really stood out to me:

"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."

When I read this, I was reminded of just how much I fail. Most of my time is focused on everything around me (how often does "life" get in the way of God?!)--subconsciously, I focus on things like work, friends, TAFE, music, computer, family, even church stuff... All of this (no matter how important) should be after God, but most of the time it's not.
He is worth so much more than I ever give Him.

Verse 6 says that to be setting our minds on the things of the world, it is death. Wow. How freaky!!! In my diary I wrote, "I must be in a bad state, then!" (by the way, feel very priveliged, as I have never shared with anyone anything from my journals!)

Particularly this year, God has given me amazing peace about a few things in particular, and I know that if I hadn't prayed about it, or if I wasn't in the position I was in, I would have been stressing no end about these things. For me that is just a miracle (not to be stressing)!

Verse 6 ends by saying that "to be spiritually minded is life and peace". I SO want that!! I just want God's life, light, peace, grace, love... All of these things that He graciously gives us through His Son... And I know that if I set my mind on the things of Him, I will (eventually) get even just a little bit of that.

Isn't God just amazing??!?!?!?!

No comments: