22 August 2017

Being Present




I wrote this little post just one week before Andre and I left our home in South Australia and began our road trip to Queensland... 1 and 1/2 years ago!   I'm glad I wrote these few sentences, because it is a great reminder to be present where I am, in this moment.  I hope this is an encouragement to you, too!

***




It is easy to love something more when it is gone.

We can begin to appreciate things more when we no longer have them.

Things that, before, seemed so insignificant suddenly have great meaning.

Moments we never noticed are now embedded into our memories forever.




In this season of transition, I am noticing tiny details of an average day; reveling in the presence of my family; appreciating the knowledge that I could visit a friend in 30 minutes if I wanted to... All because I know these exact circumstances will change very soon.

The daily grind is suddenly something joyful - because I know I only have 1 week left at work.

My walk to work is suddenly beautiful - I notice the birds singing; the flowers seem more colourful; the air smells sweeter.

Hour-long lunch breaks are suddenly an hour of opportunity - to catch up with a friend; to browse the shops; to go for a walk around Adelaide city; to read a book by the river or in one of the pretty parks.

Passing by a friend on the street or in the train is suddenly an occasion for which I'm so grateful - because I can only assume that once we move, I will have less acquaintances and therefore less chance of randomly meeting someone I know.

~Rachel

No comments: